Saturday, January 10, 2009

why green?

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see"
-Henry David Thoreau


first of all, I do not like the term "green" in the sense that it has been mass produced and consumerized by our society, like it is a new "fad" or, even worse, a new religion.

it is not.

to be green is to see the world in a different way. To view yourself as a living thing that is a part of the world, and not something created to control the world.

on that note, I better get this out of the way, and fast: I am agnostic. I have to tell you this because in our world it seems like religion has to shape who we are (I do not believe this).

Let me explain what agnostic means to me--
it means that I believe that some higher being created earth and animals and MILLIONS of years later, humans (who thus began, another ten million years later, to destroy the world--but that is only a certain human population).

agnostic means that even though I believe in this god, I do NOT believe that he created humans to rule the world. We are quickly becoming the most destructive species that has ever appeared on earth. This is because somewhere along the way a group of humans decided to try and act like god themselves, by fighting for land, deciding their particular race and beliefs were the only correct one, and in other ways I will later get to.

I worship what is right in front of me.
the world.

the bible says to "not conform to the world"
I want to believe that the author meant "do not conform to the ways humans" but sadly, that is probably an incorrect assumption.

Naomi Shihab Nye says in one of her poems:
Today the headlines clot in my blood.
A little Palestinian dangles a toy truck on the front page.
Homeless fig, this tragedy with a terrible root
is too big for us. What flag can we wave?
I wave the flag of stone and seed,
table mat stitched in blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment